.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Booklet Tips From Paulette

Writing, producing, and promoting tips booklets for marketing, motivating, and making money.

Thursday, March 24, 2005

Ever Get a Great Idea and ...

...wonder why everyone around you doesn't also instantly and enthusiastically think it's a great idea? This has happened to me many times throughout my life, in each of the three careers I've had so far, and even before that. It's probably happened to you, too. Maybe once that you can recall, maybe lots of times. Sometimes those ideas just need a minor tweak of some element to make it work beyond your wildest imagination. Sometimes it's nothing more than the fullness of time -- your idea (my idea) just hasn't reached its time yet. I can't tell you how many of THOSE I've had!!

The biggest challenge for me in all of this is like the song says: "Know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em." How much time, money, and energy is the right amount to spend now with the great idea? That's an unknown. I've had ideas, and you have, too, that once the energy about them was released, they seemed to take on life and soar.

You may know some or all of my story about the booklets. My youngest sister once asked me how my stupid little booklets were doing. That was after I'd already sold about 50,000 copies of them. I've had the last laugh on that one, and only after I had the opportunity to exercise lots of patience along the way -- with her and with the sales process.

I'm sitting with some ideas right now (as you are, too), some of which have been recently launched and others that have yet to see the light of day. One idea, in particular, appears to have some element about it that isn't quite right yet, based on the feedback and lack of same from my universe. However, I know in my heart of hearts that it's a viable idea and one that will be useful and valuable to a lot of people, and lucrative for my own business. It could be that the time is not right, though I don't think that's what it is. I think it's got more to do with how it's been structured and how it's been communicated. I'm not letting go of it yet because I believe in it. It's probably like the thought process experienced by the developers of the hoola hoop, pet rock, and the chia pet. All of them, no doubt, had the last laugh once the ironed out any wrinkles in their process.

My reason for sharing these thoughts on this process are several. One is to help me think this through and the other is to let you know you aren't the only one who goes through this conversation with yourself or others in your life. Yes, there's lots written about product development and product launch, in more formal, in-depth ways than anything I am suggesting here.

Stay tuned for the next product launches and let me know what you think.

Creatively guided,
Paulette
http://www.tipsbooklets.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home