.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Booklet Tips From Paulette

Writing, producing, and promoting tips booklets for marketing, motivating, and making money.

Monday, April 18, 2005

When Giving Up is a Good Thing

I had a couple of conversations today with some people who earlier expressed interest in attending an in-person full-day workshop I'm presenting next month. The conversations were very telling and were a reminder of things I've heard all too often in the past, things that give me pause, to re-examine my own business choices.

Each of the people I talked to had a variation of "I have to be someplace that day where I'll get money for showing up, immediately or soon after." Believe me when I tell you I have respect for the concept of going for a sure thing, cash on the barrel head.

However, I also found myself thinking how short-sighted their thinking is. In both cases, based on their current choice, their income that day will be based on being someplace for a specific time period -- not much flexibility there and certainly a limited, finite amount of income. It was a sure thing, regardless of its size and duration.

Spending the day in the workshop I'm giving is all about how to do something once and leverage it many times, to earn income that is not based on being someplace at a certain time. It's about leveraging time and talent for a much bigger return by several definitions.

Neither of these people was willing to give up what they see as a sure thing to have much more, although they each have said they want more. They were not ready or willing to give up that locked-in day to open a door to greater freedom, flexibility, and financial abundance.

On one hand, I'm sad they won't be in attendance at our workshop, since they are missing so much in the way of ideas, new contacts, new revenue, new ways of looking at things that will give them what they want. On the other hand, they weren't ready to be there yet, so it most likely would have been a mis-match on some level anyway.

My own judgment and opinion about this also had me wondering what choices I've made that have stifled my business growth, that have kept me from having, doing, and being what I've said I've wanted. Maybe that was the whole lesson for me in the responses I got today from the two people who, at this moment, aren't ready to give up their safe bet.

Until the next pondering and observation,
Paulette
http://www.tipsbooklets.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home