.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Booklet Tips From Paulette

Writing, producing, and promoting tips booklets for marketing, motivating, and making money.

Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Expanding Horizons

If you've been following this blog in recent months, you've noticed a pause in posts during the past 2+ weeks. I was on the East Coast for two weeks, and have been playing 'catch-up' so far in this week I've been back. I'm sure you understand that last part. I'm almost all caught up now.

The first week was in New York City, a place I haven't been in the 9 years since moving to San Diego from Westchester County, New York. I lived in Westchester for more than a quarter of a century, so I had more than a passing familiarity with New York City. New York City is truly a one-of-a-kind place, no doubt about it. However, it's not for me anymore, on any kind of regular basis. Am I truly becoming a laid-back, California chick? (I can hear the giggles now from those of you who have even 30 seconds worth of experience of me.) Not to worry that it will ever happen, I don't think.

During that first week, I presented a full-day workshop (one of the Booklet Brilliance and Brainstorming events), and then two sessions at the annual Publishers Marketing Association University. It's a chance to meet new people, reconnect with people I've known before, and finally put faces on people whose names have only been on emails or discussion boards and voices only known by phone. Each and every one of those categories is vital to keeping new blood running through the veins of any business and its owner, certainly me and mine.

Amazing grasp of the obvious? Maybe. However, even for someone as aware and conscious as I tend to be, it always fascinates me when I see how many new ideas I come back with, how many new dollars find their way to my checking account, and how much more fun my business is when I return from a jaunt like this recent one. I'm probably more enjoyable to be around at that point, too.

It's not uncommon to hear people talk about how much time and money it takes them away from their business to go to any kind of a conference. And that's certainly one point of view. It's not MY point of view at all. I always come back from well-chosen events with so much more than I left home with, on all counts. I made direct sales of products and services, plans for new ventures with people I've developed relationships with over the years, and enjoyed introductions to people who will be new clients with new projects.

I'm glad to be home now. The second week on the east coast was a whirlwind vacation of sorts, seeing lots of people, places, and things near and dear to My Magnificent Other and me, all within 10 days, driving about 1200 miles between New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Connecticut, and New York. That second week also served as just enough of a buffer to let the experiences of the first week have some time to settle in a little before diving head-long into all of it. Yes, I was antsy by the time we got home, and now it's time to move it all forward.

Even if you like to stay close to home, get yourself to venture out a bit once in awhile. It's one of the best antidotes for burnout that I can suggest to you. Stay tuned -- more ideas are coming, and coming soon.

Until next time,
Paulette
http://www.tipsbooklets.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home