.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Booklet Tips From Paulette

Writing, producing, and promoting tips booklets for marketing, motivating, and making money.

Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Why is it that size?

People have asked why I advocate a particular size for tips booklets -- approximately 3 1/2 inches by 8 1/2 inches, with 16-24 interior numbered pages. Initially it was because that was the size of the booklet I saw that I used as a model for mine. Shortly after my booklet was completed and I started mailing them out, I realized some very pragmatic reasons for keeping booklets that size. Here are two:

  • They are less expensive to mail. A 16-page booklet takes only one first-class stamp.
  • There is more flexibility in uses by keeping it to a standard size business envelope size.

Recently I was happily in the company of two colleagues for whom I have the greatest respect -- Joan Stewart (www.publicityhound.com) and Marcia Yudkin (www.yudkin.com ) I am forever learning from each of them, a tidbit here, a huge amount there.

Among the many things Joan does, she's created dozens of excellent special reports that she sells about various aspects of creating publicity for your products, services, or cause. She mentioned when I was with her that she advocates creating special reports that are 5 pages long, single-spaced, I believe. Why 5 pages? When she first did special reports, she was selling them as hard copy. Like my booklet, keeping to 5 pages in her special reports kept it to one first class stamp. She now delivers her special reports as downloads, though she still suggests 5 pages in length. Subscribe to her weekly ezine at www.publicityhound.com I find it to be a great shot in the arm every Tuesday. She's got terrific ideas.

Marcia does a weekly Marketing Minute ezine that arrives in my email inbox every Wednesday. When talking with Marcia, she said her Marketing Minute is 180 words, plus or minus. Why this number? Well, it started when she was responsible for creating a marketing minute for a client that was broadcast as a media spot (not sure if it was on radio or television, I think radio). She realized that it took approximately 180 words to fill a minute. Because of her top-quality copyrighting skills, she was able to develop a highly useful message in 180 words, which she now carries on to her weekly Marketing Minute ezine. Subscribe to her Marketing Minute to see for yourself. You'll find it at www.yudkin.com

All of this reminds me of the recipe that was handed down through the generations. Was it for a pot roast? The recipe said to cut off two inches from the end of the roast. No one knew why. It was just part of the recipe. Finally, after someone decided to trace the evolution of this recipe back through the elders, the answer came. The size of the original roast was too large to fit into the original roasting pan, yet people who later received the recipe followed the instructions to the letter, without question or understanding.

Well, at least now you have some understanding. You know why I say to make booklets the size I do, why Joan says to make special reports 5 pages, and why Marcia Yudkin's Marketing Minute is plus or minus 180 words. We each have our reasons, based in something that made perfect sense at the time and will be changed only when there seems to be a really good reason to do so.

Until next time,

Paulette

www.tipsbooklets.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home