.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Booklet Tips From Paulette

Writing, producing, and promoting tips booklets for marketing, motivating, and making money.

Tuesday, September 07, 2010

Booklets - The Tough Questions

How often do you ask your booklet readers and/or buyers the tough questions in your content and in your sales process? Yes, I know the writing style I teach for tips is not in question format. However, suggesting that the reader take a particular action can often prompt some pondering about a point of view.

As for the (large quantity) buyer, what do you do when they say or imply "no" when it comes time to finalize a sale? Do you ask them why they are giving you that reply? Are you asking them what their business challenges are, some of which your booklet can solve for them? Are you asking about their business at all or are you merely accepting their "no?"

In recent months, I've picked up the phone to talk with potential participants in the collaborative Collection of Experts booklets to either personally invite them to play or to explore why they said "no." In quite a few cases, they changed their mind once they realized their previous opinion of what was involved was not at all how it really was. They either read the information about it too quickly or not at all. Once I started sharing how they would specifically benefit, they were almost begging me to be included, and they thanked me for the call!

Yes, sometimes it takes more time and/or thought than a quick email. And it's usually been worth it, for the client and for my business.

What tough questions do you need to ask so you best serve your people and yourself? That last sentence was an example of one!

Until next time,
Paulette - who wants it to be as easy as you do

2 Comments:

At 11:23 AM, Blogger Mary A. Shafer said...

Couldn't agree more. I am consistently amazed at how many people SAY they believe in the product or service they're selling -- that it can truly help their potential customers -- but how easily they accept "no" after their initial pitch.

I don't know about anyone else, but when I know I have a solution for someone whom I've seen flailing around and needing help, it frustrates me no end when they won't allow me to help. I rarely give up on the first try, because it's almost physically painful for me to walk away from a situation I know I can help make better.

However, I -- like most newbie salespeople (and we all are that, whether we like it or not) -- also did that same thing when I first started out. Because my mom taught me to be polite and that no means no. BUT.

I soon realized that "no" might mean "I'm too busy to read your sales literature and I don't have time to listen to a long pitch right now." So I ask, "Really? Let's figure this out: You have time to run around putting out all these fires and be pulled away from your main job constantly to do so. But you don't have five minutes to let me explain how I can help you eliminate all that?" When they realize how stupid that sounds, they usually at least listen.

"No" can also mean, "I actually don't even understand my problem and I'm too proud to admit that to you and feel embarrassed." So, if I've done my job of listening to what they're not saying as well as what they are, I can usually figure that out and head off this objection by pointing out how many folks really don't "get it," and just launching into whatever "it" is. Then they never even have to say this, or feel embarrassed. Now I'm a friend and savior of their reputation.

But it is all about asking questions, and that begins with getting out of your own I-have-something-to-sell mode, and into your potential customer's I-have-a-need-and-don't-know-what-to-do-about-it mode. Remember, in the info business as well as any other: It's never about us, it's about our customers. So ask about what they need, identify their pain, and show how you can help take it away.

Otherwise, it's a shame to think about how many products won't get sold and how many problems won't get solved for simple lack of the right question being asked.

 
At 12:17 PM, Anonymous Paulette said...

Mary,

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts and affirm what I put forth, in your own excellent words.

Paulette

PS - There are two booklets currently filling at www.CollectionOfExperts.com -- "Define Your Destiny" and "Thrive in Your Career." Which one is best for YOU, Mary? :-)I expect them both to fill the remaining slots within the next few days.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home