.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Booklet Tips From Paulette

Writing, producing, and promoting tips booklets for marketing, motivating, and making money.

Friday, June 30, 2006

Think Outside What Box?

There's a couple of publishing discussion lists I subscribe to. Yesterday someone posted something on the list suggesting me as a resource to approach about crafting foreign rights agreements. Yes, I have done a few foreign rights deals, however I am far from an expert. Even though the conversation is often about traditional book publishing, there are things to be gleaned that can and do apply to booklets as well.

In applying some of my innate logic, I offered a suggestion to one of the people who approached me about a possible deal for her children's book with a Greek publisher. She found my off-list suggestion useful, so I encouraged her to share it with the discussion list. You, too, may find it helpful in concept. Here is what she wrote:

++++++
I sent a question to the list yesterday and received help in a very unexpected way. I was encouraged to share it with you.

Authors naturally have active imaginations. Our words flow as our ideas flow and they get transferred to paper. We're capable of creating incredible flights of fantasy and we get our fictional characters out of a miriade of sticky situations. Then come our real-life author and/or publisher roadblocks and what do we often do? We think inside the box.

How many times have I asked myself if I'm thinking inside the box? Not enough obviously. It's something we need to do more of, something we need to remember when we come to a stumbling point.

A brief description of my recent roadblock:
A publisher has asked for foreign rights to two of my books. We've spoken several times, he has agreed to my Foreign Rights Agreement in principal, the only outstanding issue is the amount of the fee for the rights.

I'm totally unaware of the state of children's books in other countries. In many countries the economy is so poor, or literacy rates are so low, or childrens' books are so undervalued there is almost no market for children's books. For me to suggest a fee in total ignorance of the local economy is silly. The publisher on the other hand doesn't want to reveal his hidden card. We are at a stand-still, both not wanting to kill the deal by making an inappropriate move.
This is real life. I immediately start thinking inside the box. If I ask for too much I insult him and the deal is dead. If I ask for too little I'm doing an injustice to myself and he thinks I'm a fool. You've been there - round and round it goes.


I asked for help and one of our listmates - Paulette at tipsbooklets.com - came to my rescue. She suggested that I offer a range depending on a number of variables. Now that's thinking outside the box! One thing it does is set the negotiations free for a flow of dialogue. By having the price within a range both parties immediately know that it is negotiable, and no one need be insulted by the higher end because a variable can be eliminated to move the price toward the lower end.

As well as appreciating the advice, I also realized that I had been thinking inside the box . I became more creative in trying to determine what a reasonable fee would be for the rights. In the end I contacted several Greek publishers by email and explained the opportunity I had - and asked if they would care to comment on the state of children's books in Greece?
Will they answer? Who knows. But if only one answers I'm in a winning situation. Also, as I'm always thinking promotion - there are now several publishers in Greece who know about my children's books. :-)


So the nugget inside this rather long email is - think outside the box more.
Rita
www.thebullybook.com
Children's colouring book on bully issues Includes questions and answers for both children and caregivers

+++

Until next time,
Paulette
http://www.tipsbooklets.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home