.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Booklet Tips From Paulette

Writing, producing, and promoting tips booklets for marketing, motivating, and making money.

Thursday, June 03, 2010

Booklets - I'll Get Around to It

  • "I've kept your information from when I attended a teleclass you gave ten years ago and I think I'm ready to do something now." (a real email that arrived this week)
  • "I couldn't attend your in-person seminar last year, but I've written a 48-page booklet about (fill in the blank) since then." (another real email that arrived this week from someone who has yet to invest in my materials that say a 16-page booklet is ideal)
  • "Have you changed your prices any this year?" (an annual email I get from a person who has yet to create a booklet to my knowledge, though keeps making reference to wanting me to edit one, annnnny day now)

What the heck are these people waiting for??? And if you recognized yourself in any of those questions, whether it was you or it was close enough to be you, what are YOU waiting for??? I mean seriously, really, what the heck are you waiting for???

I could see if you were insistent on writing a 300-400 page book. That can take you awhile, and doesn't appeal to me in the slightest. But 3,500 words on a topic about which you are passionate? You could do that in almost one sitting. In fact, some have!

Over the years, the reasons (aka excuses) have ranged from not having time, to having other priorities, to having no self-confidence that the information would be useful for anyone, to the dog ate my homework.

So here's the deal. Your booklet will not be perfect. It just won't, no matter what you do or how many sets of eyes review it. There will be things you've left out. There may be a typo. There could be a color on the cover that is slightly different than you wanted. And on and on. So what? Do you really think any of that matters? I promise you that it does not.

Then again, your booklet will be completely and totally perfect. There will be ideas in it that people find extraordinarily helpful. The booklet will open doors for sales of your other products and/or services. You will feel a sense of accomplishment that spurs you on to creating other products and developing other services and doing other non-booklet things in your life.

Get it?

So, when are YOU going to get around to it?

Until next time,
Paulette - who is oh so fond of course corrections, laughing at herself whenever she realizes it's warranted, and enjoying the fruits of her labors, some of which have included an "oops" here and there


2 Comments:

At 7:12 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Wow, you have opened my eyes to an entirely new marketing concept. I have been scouring the Internet for a long time but I have found very few resources that projected tips booklets as effective marketing tools. Thank you for this informative blog. I will now look forward to more posts from you. Meanwhile, here are some other marketing websites that you may find helpful to base your research on: www.karmiccoach.com and www.mysticselling.com.

-Sunoj

 
At 9:32 AM, Anonymous Paulette said...

Thanks for stopping by. Research??? What research?

Yes, you will find very few sites that focus on tips booklets as a marketing tool, and certainly none that have been around for 20 years.

I would also suggest you go to www.tipsbooklets.com/promote.htm and get yourself the information there. Many, many coaches have found a tips booklet to be an idea product and marketing tool.

Others have also participated in the collaborative www.CollectionOfExperts.com booklets. There are several open right now for coaches.

Regards,
Paulette
www.tipsbooklets.com
www.CollectionOfExperts.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home