.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Booklet Tips From Paulette

Writing, producing, and promoting tips booklets for marketing, motivating, and making money.

Monday, July 03, 2006

Of Course You Have the Answer

I was at the huge annual zillion-year-old San Diego County Fair yesterday. My feet will rejoin my otherwise well-functioning body by tomorrow, I'm sure. 'Happens every year. After walking around for about 5-6 hours, my friends and I plopped ourselves onto several bales of hay in the farm section of the fair before determining where we would walk next. Every year there is a theme, and this year was no different. There is an artist named Wyland up the coast who paints murals of whales, and there was a building somewhere on the fairgrounds on which he had painted a mural this season. We wanted to see it and, as you can appreciate, didn't want to walk a single step more than necessary at this point.

Along strolled a security guard. We figured he'd know, and of course I told him I was sure he'd have the answer. He looked at us and pulled out his two-way walkie talkie, asking someone else where the place was that we wanted. He got the answer for us. He then said he'd been assigned to a different section of the fair than where we had found him, so he wasn't familiar with the place we were asking about. Then he smiled when I reminded him I was sure he'd have the answer for us.

He knew how to get the answer, how to get the result, how to successfully come up with what was asked of him. I saw that as a model of every business that runs well.

It doesn't mean you or I or anyone else has to keep everything in stock that's related to our business. It means that somewhere within our reach, someone has the solution to just about any challenge someone presents. It took this security guard one contact. It may take you or me 3 or 4 or more, though unlikely.

When you bring your booklet to a bulk buyer, and it's not exactly a fit, find out what they want, and make a couple of phone calls or emails to see who does have exactly what was wanted. It's how you serve your client's business, your colleague's business, and your own business.

Of course you have the answer. It's all a matter of knowing where to look.

Until next time,
Paulette
http://www.tipsbooklets.com

1 Comments:

At 6:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The attittude of being able to get the answer seems to be missing from many retails outlets these days, at least in my experience. I find that if the product or service is not on the shelf in front of the sales people, it is not available.

There was once a time when there was an attittude in retail where if the item was not in stock, it can be sourced within a few business days. Or even more customer focused was the view that the outlet's suppliers could not provide the item, but we can send you to someone who has the product.

The shift is small, but the effect, at least on me, is large.

Cheers
Peter

 

Post a Comment

<< Home