.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Booklet Tips From Paulette

Writing, producing, and promoting tips booklets for marketing, motivating, and making money.

Friday, August 04, 2006

But This is Just Toooo Simple

I spent an hour today with a booklet author client. He's a bright, well-educated man. He has lots and lots of knowledge in his head. The notion of writing one simple tip, much less ten, or a hundred has been one of the biggest challenges in the world for him in recent weeks. He cannot fathom that his readers will be satisfied with one sentence directing them to do something, followed by one or two sentences explaining why or how to do what the first sentence said to do.

He wants to give more -- more statistics, references to studies, narrative in-depth explanations, and on and on. I have assured him there will be a time, place, and format to do exactly that as we work together on creating an entire product line. Though still skeptical, I think I saw a glimmer of hope and understanding in his eye today.

The thing that prompted that glimmer was when I put him into the position of receiving new information. I suggested to him that there was probably some subject area in his life about which he had apprehensions, something he thinks would be a challenge to learn, something that seemed monumental. I didn't press him on what that was, kind of like 'pick a card and don't show me which one it is.' I asked him how he'd feel if some expert deluged him with tons and tons of information from the outset about the topic that was new to my client. How would he feel? He said he'd probably run the other direction as fast as possible.

Need I say more? (though of course I will anyway).

It dawned on him that he has to start at the most basic and simple level so people can absorb what he gives them. Then move on to offering more in-depth information, little by little, and in other formats. And before anyone knows it, all that complex information will be the ideal match for the person who started off by reading that simple tips booklet.

Until next time,
Paulette -- making things simple one tip at a time
http://www.tipsbooklets.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home