.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Booklet Tips From Paulette

Writing, producing, and promoting tips booklets for marketing, motivating, and making money.

Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Booklet Writing - Don't Do Don't

A client's ezine today pointed out one of the classic things I advise people to do. The only thing is that the example was reversed. There was one tip after another that started with the word 'don't.' Don't do this and don't do that. I thought maybe the content of the tip might hold the secret of what TO do. Alas, it wasn't there. As a reader, I was left with the burning question of what TO do once I followed the advice of what NOT to do. How helpful is that to the reader? What I thought was even more interesting was that the article in the ezine was about how to deal with difficult people. Telling the reader what not to do when dealing with difficult people seems slightly counterproductive to me.

I've got quite a number of booklet authors who write on this topic, so I am not showing anyone's hand by featuring this example. And I don't know if this particular author reads my blog or not :-) It just jumped off the screen at me and I had to share it with you.

When you are writing your tips and you find yourself in a stream of don't's, ask yourself what you want your reader TO do to turn that all around.

Until next time,
Paulette - who is still learning what TO do
http://www.tipsbooklets.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home