.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Booklet Tips From Paulette

Writing, producing, and promoting tips booklets for marketing, motivating, and making money.

Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Booklets and Hardware Stores

There's an Ace Hardware store in my neighborhood. They generally charge more and don't have the variety of the big box stores like The Home Depot or Lowe's. They are more convenient, however, and seem to hire people who have good customer service skills. Today I got something in the mail from them, following up joining their 'club.' Many of the grocery stores have these clubs, too, where you get a discount or accumulate points or get some special offer. Well, the Ace Hardware store does, too. Today's offer from them was a $5 discount coupon for my next purchase (certain exclusions apply) and a pick-a-day double points. While these two things had some level of interest that would get me back into their store (which I'd be inclined to do anyway), I couldn't help wondering about the longer lasting effect of a how-to booklet on some relevant do-it-yourself task, with my local Ace Hardware address imprinting on the booklet. After all, once I redeem these two coupons they sent today, I have nothing more to keep. Undoubtedly they'll send more offers, more sales flyers, and the like. Imagine the cost effectiveness for them to include a coupon or two with a booklet. That won't get thrown away like the backing on these coupons will.

Do you have topics that a hardware store would find relevant? How about contacting their corporate marketing department, and tell them what you just read in the above paragraph. Save them money and make a sale for yourself.

And by the way, watch for things like this when they show up in your own mail. Lots and lots of marketing ideas probably come past you every day, just like the thing I just mentioned.

Until next time,
Paulette - grateful for what the world continues teaching me when I notice
www.tipsbooklets.com

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 2:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great suggestion, Paulette.

Here's another idea that ties in with this. I have an article at my website called "Marketing Toolbox for Hardware Stores" at http://tinyurl.com/2uefng

Tips booklet authors who are thinking of targeting hardware stores should read this article first. It will give you lots of ideas on things to suggest to them.

For instance, I suggest hardware stores offer special events and services like wallpaper clinics, ladies nights, bridal registries and even cake decorating classes.

You might have a tips booklet that ties into one of these topics, or you might suggest that a hardware store give away your tips booklet to customers who attend events like these.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home