.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Booklet Tips From Paulette

Writing, producing, and promoting tips booklets for marketing, motivating, and making money.

Tuesday, October 09, 2007

How Much to Charge

This is an unending topic. It is also art not science. So many things go into your pricing decision. I've changed my quantity pricing for booklets at least 4 times in 16 years. Some of it was based in my production costs. More of it had to do with my customers. They told me how much they would pay. Yes, I tested the waters every so often to see where there was resistance. And I made sure the decision was based on more than just one customer's reaction.

Your market will be different than another booklet author's market. Your content is more or less in demand. Your own approach to the prospective client will be different than that of another booklet author. One of you is likely to have more confidence than the other about what your booklet is worth and how that lines up with your customers' perception.

While I offer a range of suggested prices to guide booklet authors, I've heard some far-reaching results reported back to me, completely stretching the norm. When everyone is in agreement, I say good for them! It's what that particular market will bear.

You may decide to charge some multiple of your cost of printing as a starting point. Note, I said printing. The graphic design is generally a one-time expense that makes no sense to include as the basis for your costs ongoing. You may also find that your client literally tells you what they will pay, which you will either accept or reject. That can frequently be more than you were originally expecting to charge them, and can be a pivot point for you to raise your prices.

Pricing is an art, not a science. Charge whatever the market will bear, and test that periodically.

Until next time,
Paulette - who likes to leave as little money on the table as makes sense
www.tipsbooklets.com

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home