.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Booklet Tips From Paulette

Writing, producing, and promoting tips booklets for marketing, motivating, and making money.

Friday, April 18, 2008

Booklets in Bookstores - NO

A booklet author emailed me this morning for my comments about an article in a newsletter suggesting that authors make themselves known to bookstores when said authors are traveling around --- and what did I think about that. A resounding "NO" was my reply.

Bookstores and the entire traditional publishing model are not anything I am about or teach people to do with booklets, or even books. It's a crazy model, first of all. It's an uphill battle for a book author to get their book into a bookstore to begin with. And once there, the book basically is on consignment for all intents and purposes. I don't know about you, but when I make a sale, the notion of returning whatever doesn't sale has zero appeal to me. Plus those returns are often not in salable condition. And the quantities sold are minuscule. Gee, where do I sign up?

It's much more satisfying and lucrative to sell large quantities to single buyers like corporations or associations, with no returns, don't you think? For all the details about how to do that, you'll want to have "How to Promote Your Business with Booklets" if you don't already own it. (See the Home Study Courses at my site) And if you do own it, and had a brain blip, then schedule some time on the clock with me to get you back on track! (Look at Rent-a-Brain in the Services menu of my site.)

Until next time,
Paulette - who agrees with Dan Poynter who believes bookstores are a lousey place to sell books
www.tipsbooklets.com

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home