.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Booklet Tips From Paulette

Writing, producing, and promoting tips booklets for marketing, motivating, and making money.

Thursday, July 01, 2010

Booklets - Be Clear

Start with a simple, straight-forward, say-it-like-it-is title for you booklet. Choose every single thing that you write inside so that you tell the reader exactly what you mean, in words they understand.

There has been a rash of incomplete communication coming at me lately from various places in my life. The end result has been one misunderstanding after another, taking time to correct and, in some cases, patch up.

It can create a disconnect for a buyer who doesn't understand what your title means, or thinks it means something other than you intended. Your tips, while short and concise, can and must be complete. Use words that are generally mainstream unless you are specifically writing for an audience that requires and benefits from industry specific language.

Have someone outside your area of expertise read your booklet. Ask them to tell you about any obvious stumbling blocks they experienced in fully understanding anything in your booklet. They still may not catch everything. Make changes as necessary so you can best serve your audience and your checkbook. Be clear.

Until next time,
Paulette - wondering what planetary alignments are prompting the communication missteps



1 Comments:

At 10:43 AM, Anonymous Chris Sier said...

I agree that asking for feedback is crucial. I ask at least 10 people if they would like to review my booklet. If yes, I send it to them. I may not receive comments from everyone but I have received great comments around understanding, additional verbiage that makes the tip sparkle, and validation that this booklet is useful.

An added benefit for me is that my writing overall has improved and is much more succinct!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home