.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Booklet Tips From Paulette

Writing, producing, and promoting tips booklets for marketing, motivating, and making money.

Thursday, August 30, 2007

To Revise or Not to Revise

Someone recently asked me how often I've revised my only booklet, "110 Ideas for Organizing Your Business Life," since I wrote it in 1991. Revised it? Why would I do that? Every one of the 110 tips I wrote in 1991 is still completely 100% valid. Part of that was unwittingly, I must admit. It was early in my days on the computer and internet, and I am typically a late adapter of technology. So everything in that booklet is about offline, non-computer organizing of paper, time, and space. The content is what's commonly referred to as "evergreen." It's not time or content sensitive.

There are three things that have changed in that booklet -- my address has changed twice, and I modified the introduction because my business focus changed since I first wrote the booklet. The 110 tips did not change. Oh, and I fixed one typo.

Look at your own booklet to see if you are writing time-sensitive content. There's a good news/bad news element to it if you are. Something that does need updating allows you to announce a new version of your product to those who have already purchased from you in the past. If you have time-sensitive information that you don't update, you will lose your credibility and lose money with left over copies.

Your choices are to write evergreen content or revise on a regular basis. Either is fine as long as you determine which to do, and do it.

Until next time,
Paulette - still selling the same booklet written in 1991
www.tipsbooklets.com

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 8:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great advice. Unfortunately, it's next to impossible to write evergreen content if the topic is technology-related.

For instance, a CD I produced called "How to Use Craigslist as a Global Publicity Tool" was out of date within two years because so many of the CL rules had changed.

I'm updating products than can, indeed, be updated, and pulling those that are hopelessly out of date.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home