.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Booklet Tips From Paulette

Writing, producing, and promoting tips booklets for marketing, motivating, and making money.

Thursday, February 25, 2010

Positively Promoting Your Business with Booklets

OK, so I got on a little alliteration kick there :-) Reviewing a prospective client's manuscript this week brought to mind two different approaches marketers use to reach their audience:

* pain
* pleasure

The manuscript I read focused more on the first approach. It was about mistakes not to make, things to avoid, what not to do, and, well, you get the idea. I had to remind myself while reading it that most of the items started with "not," which became confusing for me, and not helpful at all. "People make these mistakes by not doing..." That takes a lot of mental work to re-frame that into what TO do. And the person told me it's not his typical approach to life, either, so it was not particularly an authentic way for him to write.

On the pleasure side, if you tell me what TO do, and I get the results I want, well, you've been helpful and I want more of what you're about. You've created a level of pleasure in my life, and it's going to be a pleasure for me to do business with you.

No doubt someone could readily build a case for providing solutions that take away someone's pain. Personally, I'd rather do that from a positive perspective than any other way. It's why I teach you to write the tips in your booklet starting with a positive verb, telling your reader what TO do.

How about you? What do you prefer, both as the provider of information and the recipient of it?

Until next time,
Paulette - focusing on the positive and sharing it with you


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home