.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Booklet Tips From Paulette

Writing, producing, and promoting tips booklets for marketing, motivating, and making money.

Tuesday, April 06, 2010

Booklets - Your Unknown Impact

Over the weekend I got a Facebook message that was profound for many reasons. It was from someone who was part of my first (of three, so far) careers many moons ago. I've included it here in its entirety. Not only is it quite touching unto itself, it's a huge reminder of how impossible it is to know the impact any of us makes on anyone in our life. For your viewing pleasure and consideration when you find yourself hesitating in sharing who you are:

=================================

Dear Mrs. Ensign,
Many years have past since we last saw each other (about 32)
and I have been wondering if I would ever get the opportunity
to speak to you again. My name is Dan Higgins and I was a
student of yours at Kendall Elementary School in Norwalk, CT
from 1976-1979. I was the lone violist in my grade level and
consequently my lesson time with you was one on one. I swear
on all that I hold true, that I remember every lesson and musical
thing that you ever taught me. I became a music teacher myself
and almost daily, I open my mouth and your voice comes out!
There are now thousands more students running about the state
of CT remembering the order of their sharps by chanting “Fat
Crabs Go Down And Eat Bugs” and their flats as “Bald Eagles
And Dogs Get Colds Fast”. I cannot thank you enough for being
such an amazing role model and for helping me to find my place
in this world.

At this stage of each school year I spend a small part of my
vacation wondering if I am reaching my students as profoundly
as you had impacted me. Another small portion is spent catching
up with friends. I was floored when I searched for your name
and on the first hit found your profile. I hope this letter finds
you well and someday, maybe 30 years from now I will receive
a similar one from a student I helped to motivate. All great
music teachers in this world deserve such affirmation.

Sincerely,
Dan Higgins













Until next time,
Paulette - who is almost speechless (hey, I said "almost")
www.tipsbooklets.com


3 Comments:

At 7:35 PM, Anonymous Lynette Smith, All My Best said...

WOW--you're right--it's a feeling you'll never forget, having touched another's life so profoundly. Congratulations, and "good on ya!" --Lynette Smith, All My Best Business & Nonfiction Copyediting

 
At 9:49 PM, Anonymous peg said...

That is really wonderful, Paulette. You just never know who you touch and who you change.

I love the photo, too.

 
At 8:21 AM, Blogger Mary A. Shafer said...

Wow, Paulette! As a teacher myself, I can imagine how gratifying this post must have been for you. And to think he took the time to search for and reach out to you, then write the post. With someone else, I may have found this stunning, but frankly, not with you. You have such a powerful personal presence that I believe it's impossible for you NOT to make an impact on everyone whose lives you touch.

I must tell you that last year, during some very dark days for my business -- and consequently, for my personal confidence level -- I kept returning to our brief eConversation about the recession. The one where you basically said, "What recession?"

I kept reminding myself that you would be giving me a big kick in the pants to stop having a pity party and instead expend my energy on figuring it out. In that way, you became my invisible business mentor. I would always mentally hold myself up to the mirror and ask, "What Would Paulette Do?"

I still don't have it all figured out, but because I could hear your voice in my head not allowing me to give up, I'm still here, and I'm still working on it. Thanks. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home